Tuesday, January 13, 2015

We Are Who We Serve

Meghan and I heard a news story this morning on NPR, and the interviewee was a financial planner.  He said “It’s not all about money.”  Meghan chuckled and said “Only people who have lots of money say it’s not all about money.”  I had a good laugh at that, but I began to think….Are we who we purport to serve?

I confidently answered yes to that question.  In the case of our Start-Up School, it definitely is so.  We are entrepreneurs.  I didn’t start out as an entrepreneur, however.  I can honestly say that over the 12+ years I’ve owned my firm, I have only been an entrepreneur for about half of that time.  I couldn’t have offered this class to entrepreneurs after owning a business for 5 years….I wasn’t ready.  I didn’t know the difference between a technician who began a business because he was angry about how he was treated at his previous job, and an entrepreneur.  Frustrated technicians don’t have the vision that entrepreneurs have.  They’re too busy being technicians!  I remember what it was like to be frustrated technician, and I can definitely speak about how it feels to make that transition.


So, yes, we are who we serve.  That is what makes this Start-Up School experience so much broader than the free hour you get with the speaker at the latest Chamber of Commerce function.  As your designated mentor for this intensive 10-week adventure, I will deliver information, opportunities for learning and share life experiences in order to prepare you for your entrepreneurship journey.  Because that’s what it is….a journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment